SAN FERNANDO CITY—The Department of Education (DepEd) Regional Office 3 received its first copy of the Project Epanaw Coffee Table (CTB) Books 1, 2, and 3 today. Director Roland Calde of the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) Region 3 personally handed the books to DepEd R3 Director Dr. May Eclar today at her office in Diosdado Macapagal Government Center. Amazed by the CTBs, Director Eclar said that they will be excellent learning and reference materials for educators, pupils, and students in the region. The two leaders agreed to do the following ways forward:
1. Reproduction of the CTBs for use in school libraries;
2. Conduct cultural competency and culture sensitivity orientations and training for teachers in the entire region;
3. Strengthening ICCs participation and role in IP Education curriculum; and
4. Consultations on possible corrections and issues arising from learning modules; and
5. Cooperation on possible opportunities for IP Youth teachers and educators.
The meeting ended on a good note witnessed by officers and staff of both agencies. Director Eclar congratulated the NCIP for the success of Project Epanaw and emphasized the need have culturally competent educators as key to educating the public especially young minds of the diversity of our cultures. She added that the goal of Project Epanaw also embodies the department’s vision of Filipinos loving their country and contributing meaningfully to nation-building.